Sunday, April 10, 2016

Paint Brush Review: Artist Loft 3/0 Round

I worked on some black-lining on my Zeus battlemech this morning.  Tried out a new Artist Loft brush from Michael's, a 3/0 round.  They were pretty cheap compared to the Windsor & Newton that I usually use, so I thought I'd give them a try.

The belly of the brush itself is very long, but the toe comes to a very fine point which is itself considerable in length.  It took a bit of extra care to control, but the longer belly can hold a lot of paint so it worked out well in this situation where I had the black paint watered down to the consistency of an ink wash (i find for lining the paint leaves a bolder pigment than the ink).

The crimp of the ferrule was glued into the handle.  Yes:  "was".  It fell off about 15 minutes in.  The water had gotten under it and dissolved the glue.  I put a little super glue inside the crimp and replaced it after I was done.  Hopefully it will hold up better next time.

Overall, though, I was happy with the brush.  It might be a bit unwieldy for doing lines on a flat surface, but for filling grooves such as these with thin paint it seems ideally suited.

No comments:

Post a Comment