Saturday, January 13, 2018

Review: Maelstrom's Edge

I recently recieved the starter box for Maelstrom's Edge by Spiral Arms Studios. Now, I'm not really interested in getting into a new miniatures game, but I can't say no to free models.

So first off, the artwork is amazing. I'm a sucker for awesome game art, and I love the style this game has. I'm not going to go into the rules because, I already have too many rulesets in my head right now. But perhaps I'll come back later and look at them.

The models themselves are very nice. The sculpts are crisp, and there was very little flash and mould lines. They are in the "heroic" style like those by Games Workshop.

 I really like the Epirian Foundation. They kind of look like the Colonial Marines in Aliens, and they could be a nice alternative to the Imperial Guard. They also have some awesome mechs. They really fit my image of Sci-Fi militaries.

The Karist Enclave are from what I can tell are the "Bad Guys". They have very sleek armour and these crazy looking demon models, which will probably be fun to paint (I haven't cut them off the sprues yet).

The box also comes with a pair of sprues for terrain building which is pretty great, You can use the pieces for any sort of Sci Fi Terrain!

One complaint was that the models didn't come with instructions in the box. I had to go to the website to find the kit instructions.
Another complaint is that the chits are just thin cardboard, but seeing as this is a new game/company it could be a lot worse. But again the art looks amazing.

All in all they are decent models, and I expect that the game will be fun to play.

I'd give the game 3.75 out of 5 stars. But that may change when I look at the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment